Wildcat’s cockpit. How tiny it is – 12mm from instrument panel to back wall. I have an expert set version of the kit but I decided not to use the main instrument cluster PE part as I haven’t seen I’d gain anything of it. So I used unmodified IP slightly drybrushed and used supplied instrument decals which fit beautifully and instrument glass was created with UV resin.
I am also aware that maybe bronze green would be a better choice but since most of the cockpit will disappear in the dark depths of narrow cockpit, I just used interior green instead.
Engine mount with oil tank and some filters with support struts. Just a part of complex F4F assembly.
Engine mount and really nicely detailed firewall with all the chains and sprockets.
A busy front end of the Wildcat full of support struts and rods… and not to mention an entire landing gear assembly is still missing in the photo.
Fuselage closed together and wings added. The wing-fuselage join needed just a slight smear of putty to blend it in. I’ve also invested a couple of hours into riveting the whole model which I think will immensely improve the overall looks later in the build.
Model painted with Mr.Paint lacquers – blackbasing and some postshading giving the colour job a varied look.
Box decals went on beautiful! The instructions are missing the info to apply the black wing walk decals which was present on the majority of Wildcats. They ARE included on the decal sheet.
I’ve finally put both aircraft on their legs, added some brake lines to the struts and applied the final coat of semi-matt varnish which is a bit shiny for that new bird look, but will provide with enough bite for some light weathering to come later.
Wildcat’s P&W R-1830 Twin Wasp is nicely done and you even have exhaust pipes at the back, although they are of same length and don’t reach the front cylinder row. The electric wiring, the ring and spark plug cables are made of photo-etched parts, are extremely thin and can hardly be seen in the photo.
Weathering on the Wildcat is mostly done. These aircraft were almost new at the time of Battle of Midway, so I had to restrain any wild weathering ambitions.
Finished! More photos soon in the Gallery section of the site!
Beautiful work! The Arma Wildcats are great kits.
Thank you very much, Jeff! Loved yours! Wish I’d be able to turn out so many finished models so fast 😀