Archive for September, 2014

Su-35S ‘Flanker-E’ – pt.7

Maybe still remember, how much time I’ve spent masking all those tiny details on the bare metal areas of the engines and the exhausts. If you don’t – click HERE to see the painting and masking process.

The time has finally come to finish those. I admit, it was a bit of a gamble as I’ve never before worked on such a complex pattern and the aim was to achieve uniform pattern on one hand and still some randomness on other.

All the work was done using Tamiya Weathering Master Set D, using a thin paintbrush (the included sponge brush is too cumbersome to work on details).


First I tried this method on one of the tailplanes and I really liked the outcome. Keep in mind however, that this was a laborious project that lasted several hours. The final effect is also quite hard to photograph, as both the Alclad and the blue of the weathering set reflect differently under the changing light and the angle of view.







Su-35S ‘Flanker-E’ – pt.6

Hi everyone!

My first post after a much needed holiday. Spent a great week with my wife and friends road tripping around Norway and understandably, the modelling pace has decelerated a bit. But I am slowly gaining momentum again and here’s a new, albeit short new update for you.

In my previous post, you have seen my Flanker turned from Grey to colorful; I guess it’s no surprise, it gained some more colors after decaling!

Decals lay down nicely on a glossy surface, courtesy of Alclad Aqua Gloss. Additional coat was sprayed over decals for protection and an oil color wash – mix of Raw Umber and Payne’s Grey heavily thinned with (non aggressive) white spirit – applied.




Since Su-35s are fairly new machines, I don’t plan on weathering her any further. In the meantime, one more Hasegawa mistake was corrected. Nose gear strut is a few millimeters too high – when the model is put on its wheels, it looses the characteristic Flanker kneel down pose. I cut a section of gear strut above the taxi/landing lights and shortened the supporting side braces. Oh and yeah, some wiring was added to the struts, using thin copper wire and stretched sprue.

I can slowly see the end of the tunnel now. Stay tuned for new updates in the coming week and have a great remainder of Sunday!




Quick update, not much of in progress photos this time. After masking bare metal areas, the model got a nice even coat of Alclad Grey primer followed by 5000 grit polishing to make the surface perfectly smooth. First colour was Model Master Flanker Pale Blue. Looking at these pics, I wish someone already released canard equipped Su-30 series so I could build an Algerian machine – this blue-grey combination is quite striking!



Next came grey and blue colours. Grey was giving me some problems – I tried ModelMaster Dark and Light Ghost gray but didn’t have enough blue in them, then I tried Agama R27 Light Grey Blue but was too blue – in the end I mixed a roughly 5:3 mix of Agama R27 and Lt. Ghost Gray and I think I nailed it quite good. The Blue is Agama R31 Light Blue.

At this point it was time for detail painting. I must admit, I wasn’t really looking forward to all the masking required by extensive dielectric panels all around the aircraft. Beside that, looking at the model with basic camo applied, it looked just like another Su-27, nice, but ordinary and that sense. The revelation came just a bit later, when I sprayed the black antiglare coat around the canopy – it felt like the aircraft transformed. Anyhow here she is in all her splendor! I am off for a week long holiday in Norway so expect some more colour on her in 10 days or so! Cheers





One of the main challenges building any Flanker variant has to be natural metal finish on the engine areas as well as tail planes on Su-35S. I guess there is as many methods as there are modellers, but if you are struggling with this part of the build, I hope my step by step guide will be helpful to you. All paints used are Alclad II unless otherwise stated.



Interior of exhaust cans was painted White and weathered using Brown, Black and Sand pigments and dry pastels.




Afterburner (forsazh) chamber was painted with Jet Exhaust and then drybrushed with ModelMaster Stainless Steel.


Drybrushing effect can be seen through the exhaust apertures.


In preparation for the metallic treatment, surface was primed with Grey primer with microfiller.


The whole area was then given a coat of Jet Exhaust.



Using reference photos, the tiny grids were masked using thinly cut Tamiya masking tape.



Next step was applying White Aluminium to the lighter shaded areas.


Copper was applied next in thin coats.


Notice how darker the bottom side appears because of the darker background paint (Jet Exhaust vs. White Alu on top).


All the engine servicing panels were picked up next using a thin brush and ModelMaster Stainless Steel.


Using Pale Burnt Metal was the next step, blending everything together and giving the area that yellowish tint.


And finished result. In the end, some Exhaust manifold was applied to the exhaust petals. Notice that the grid effect can barely be seen, just like on the real deal. This however is not a finished deal yet. The bare metal areas will be masked next and when all the painting is finished, they will be unmasked and Tamiya weathering set used for those blue metal effects.


Tail planes also went through similar treatment – Jet Exhaust base and a lot of masking…


… followed by Copper…


…and finished using Pale Burn Metal. Note that all the surfaces reflect light differently so the effects are depending on the source of light and view angle – just the same as on real aircraft.