Archive for April, 2013


Finally finished! This was probably the worst model I have built to date from Revell. It might have been a good model in its time but as it seems, this kit is several decades old and worn-out molds only make it worse. Anyhow here she is, finished. Definitely not a contest model but certainly a welcome addition to my small air forces collection. If you are contemplating on buying a 1:72 long fuselage Huey (D, H models) choose Italeri. I have heard horror stories but at least based on the sprue shots I’ve seen on the internet, it is more detailed model and you will easily achieve better results than I did. I thank Balkan Models for the kit and decal sheet – the few decals that were used performed brilliantly – no carrier film is visible and no silvering appeared; I even didn’t have to use the setting solution.

uh1h_33 uh1h_32 uh1h_31 uh1h_30 uh1h_29 uh1h_28 uh1h_27 uh1h_26 uh1h_25 uh1h_24

Advertisements

UH-1H Part 6

uh1h_22

Unfortunately due to death in my family, I cannot show you much progress at this moment. Flat coat was added and clear parts unmasked. Rotor parts are just dryfitted for the looks.

uh1h_23

To my horror, clear parts have fogged from the inside. I am not sure what caused this, as I was taking extreme care when glueing fuselage halves together and clear parts were glued with non-agressive white glue. Anyhow repair works have already started as well as painting the details and rotor weathering. With a little bit of luck, she’ll be finished by the end of the week.

UH-1H Part 5

Painting!

uh1h_18

After a nice coat of Alclad Grey primer preshade was done on certain areas which show heavy use on reference photos.

uh1h_19

Main camo was done with ModelMaster Olive Drab and the tailboom was painted with a mix of previous colour and Revell 9 Anthrazite.

uh1h_20

uh1h_21

Since it’s drying really fast, Alclad Black primer was used for anti-glare panel and walkways.

UH 1 H---84

Photo copyright: Dragan Cvetić

UH-1H Part 4

Finally some progress on the Huey.

uh1h_15

Joining the fuselage halves showed a nasty hole where the rotor gearbox should be through which you could see inside the cabin and cockpit, while looking through the exhaust, you had a see through situation. To at least partially remedy this problem, thin plasticard strips were glued inside to cover the gaps.

uh1h_16

If you are asking yourself why there’s a piece of sprue sticking out of window – It accidentally broke and the only way I could reinsert it was to superglue a piece of sprue to the masked window and gently insert it. Studying the photos, several of the antennas were added, including the wirecutters.

uh1h_17

Wirecutters were given a support struts made from thin soldering wire. The tail was riveted using Rivet-R and additionally, the “caps” at the front of sledges were made from plasticard. She’s more or less ready for the primer and painting next.

Here’s an interesting video of Macedonian AF Combat Search and Rescue display that includes the helicopter I am building. Enjoy till the next time!