Hey everybody! Still remember photos of a [SARCASM] stellar [/SARCASM] fit of wings to the fuselage on this build? If not, click HERE. Well here I am at the moment – the model in primer. A few touch-ups will be required so if all goes according to plan, she’ll get a nice even coat of Alclad Gloss Black base and metallic finish sometime later this week. I have to admit, I was struggling with putties in the past – they crumbled, sanding was messy, especially in some tight corner and all in all they were quite a horrifying experience. Well, I have to say, I have found a new one and it blew me away with its quality and ease of work.
The product is called Perfect Plastic Putty by Deluxe Materials. It is a water based putty of a similar thickness as Tamiya’s white putty. But the real game changer is that it is water based. In practice this means, that you apply it over the seam, wait half an hour or so to fully dry, then gently rub the seam with damp brush and you will remove excess putty with ease and any residue can be later removed by damp cloth. I will probably make a product review with a video in the near future, to show you how easy it is to use. Oh and yeah, if you let it cure it will sand very nicely as well.
Nice progress so far, but you could make some corrections:
1) http://i.minus.com/ioMyDhxaBq2NB.jpg. On the other side, fin looks ok.
2) http://i.minus.com/ibm2nOYhhJ4VdK.jpg Exhaust needs some extra work. I had a same issue with the icm kit http://i.imgur.com/uQwdw.jpg. I fixed adding a very thin plastic http://i.imgur.com/F556z.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/ImgJB.jpg
About perfect plastic putty. It has very nice properties but don’t use it in areas that pressure may applied on the model. I used on my kfir. All was ok but with a bad move the joint cracked easily. Kfir had a same issue like the analog. Underside wing parts wasn’t fitting ok.
http://i5.minus.com/iLDUXPCnWtEMl.jpg ( i finally used milliput and finished with ppp)
I use perfect plastic putty for canopy joints!
I recommend you the milliput . It has the same properties. You can work it with water but in the end it becomes rock solid hard! I even used it on my broken Lamp!
Here some nice refs with the analog:
1) The problem lies with the kit, really. Modelsvit used Zvezda’s bis as a base for the fuselage, while the real bird was based on a S model – I noticed that too late in the build, otherwise I might be correcting this.
2) Regarding the exhaust, the lip is there, maybe a faint one but I didin’t want to make too much of a fuzz about it – the interior is far from detailed and if I would want to correct that, it would take too much effort and mainly time. And since I am short on the latter I left it as it is.
Regarding Perfect Plastic Putty and Miliput – I have both. The first one gives me speed, while I use Miliput for harder work, like reshaping things and stuff. Since you have to mix two components, I don’t normally use it for normal putty work.
Okey Sebastijan, lets finish this bird then. I’m curious how is gonna be. 🙂